We fisherman take great pride in the bait we use to catch our favorite fish. However, as any experienced fisherman will tell you some fish prefer certain kinds of bait over others. This is why it is important to become familiar with the kinds of food each fish breed prefers. Our Louisiana Charter Fishing service can lead you to some of the best waters for fishing in the area, but knowing which bait to use is a decision that takes personal knowledge. If you are angling for the speckled trout that inhabit these waters, for example, we can offer you the following tips on which baits are proven to be the most effective.
- Salmon eggs: Salmon eggs are inexpensive, keep well and have a pleasant smell. Also, they have been time tested so their effectiveness is not often questioned. However, since salmon eggs are sinking bait, they should be fished under a bobber or float or suspended off the bottom in tandem with floating bait.
- Waxworm: Waxworms are the soft larvae of the wax moth. The key to fishing with this bait is to use just enough weight to send it near but not to the bottom of the lake.
- Nightcrawlers: One of the oldest baits around, Nightcrawlers work well in saltwater, fresh water, lakes and most other places. Additionally, they also catch bass, flounder, crappy, bluegill and a variety of other fish species. Two other advantages to Nightcrawlers are that they are inexpensive and are readily available in most places.
- Crayfish: Crayfish, also known as crawdads, freshwater lobsters, mountain lobsters, and mudbugs are often overlooked and underappreciated as trout bait but they are effective as long as you learn to mimic their natural action when fishing.
- Crickets & Hoppers: The natural movement of these insects on the water’s surface is irresistible to trout and other fish species.
In short, whether you are Houma duck hunting or Louisiana Charter fishing it is always helpful to know your prey’s dietary habits. It is also helpful to mix things up from time to time and try new baits and lures. Fishing requires a lot of adapting to the habits and environment of different fish species. Set sail with us and we promise to provide you with a variety of fish that are just waiting to be snagged by you and your party.