As outdoor activities go, fishing is relatively safe and injury-free. However, just as with any activity in life there are some risks involved. At Coastal Charter Fishing we want you to have a great time on one of our Louisiana charter fishing tours. We strive to make sure that the memories you associate with our trips along Jekyll Island, Cumberland Island and St. Simons Island are positive. For this reason we would like to remind you of some common fishing injuries and offer you advice on avoiding them.
- Hook injuries: Be cautious and look when reaching into your tackle box for a hook or when adding bait to your line. Also, when casting your line, make sure that there is no one behind you. Hooks that are sharp enough to snag a fish are sharp enough to pierce a finger or other part of the body.
- Infections: Hook injuries are not only painful but they can also carry with them the danger of infection especially if the hook is old and rusty. Always remember to immediately disinfect any wounds you may suffer from as the result of a fish bite or hook injury.
- Fish bites: Just because you and your quarry have put up the fight of your lives does not mean that he is ready to give up completely once you have him in the boat. Exhausted and confused, fish can still bite if you put your hand too near their mouths when handling them. Some fish species have more painful bites than others.
- Slips and falls: Falls, though rare, are not completely unheard of during fishing expeditions. To prevent falls on docks, decks, rocks, etc., always wear non-slip shoes. Finally, wear a life jacket in case you fall into the water during our Louisiana fishing charter.
- Sun damage: To avoid sunburn, wear sun protective clothing, use SPF30+ (or higher) sunscreen and lip balm and wear an appropriate hat when fishing.
Finally, we do everything we can to make sure that you remember your trips with us for the right reasons. We supply you with bait, tackle, fishing license and ice but more importantly we supply you with our experience. This experience helps you stay secure while enjoying the wonderful sport of fishing.