As any longtime fisherman will tell you in these parts speckled trout are one of the most popular fish species in Louisiana. These fighters are found throughout the gulf coast of Mexico, Florida, and up the coast to Virginia. They are a popular fish species due to their tenaciousness and because they also make good eating. But what do they eat? Which baits are the best for capturing speckled trout? Our Louisiana charter fishing service would like to share the following suggestions for which bait to use to guarantee success when fishing here.
- Live Shrimp (This is their absolute favorite food.)
- Other baitfish
- Gold and silver spoons: The undulating movements of these kinds of spoons are irresistible to speckled trout.
- Soft plastic lures: Here, lures that resemble shrimp or other small baitfish is best.
- Hard plastic lures: Try using silver tinted lures for the best results when fishing with hard plastic baits.
- Popping floats: These help attract trout to your bait. They are more useful in shallower water than other kinds of floats.
- Slip Floats: These are best used in comparatively deep water of 20 ft. or more.
Yes, using just the right lure/bail is essential if you want success on one of our charter fishing tours. Our Louisiana fishing guide can lead you to locations for the best speckled trout fishing in Louisiana. We are also knowledgeable enough to give you additional tips that will help you catch other fish species in the area such as redfish. We even offer some recipes for preparing your catch.